Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I have started to date a Catholic girl and I need advice....any thoughts?

I was raised Methodist and I know nothing about the Catholic religion. Im researching online but I was curious to see what you guys think. We are in our early 30's and it's a fairly important aspect of a relationship for both of us.I have started to date a Catholic girl and I need advice....any thoughts?
Have her talk with her church or the priest and ask about classes you can attend in order to understand the religion better.





I was raised Catholic and Lutheran. For reasons of my own I decided to go with Lutheran over Catholicism. However when my first son was born I was going to have him baptized Catholic since that is what his father was. At that time the priest told me before I could have my son baptized I would have to attend classes on mixed marriages because we were not both catholic.





No matter whether your lady was raised Roman Catholic or more modern, the one thing is the same, they welcome any chance to explain what they are about and we should all be Catholics.





You best source is to talk with your lady and find out what she believes. Not all Catholics following everything for example





How often does she confess?





Does she believe in praying to the Patron Saints? Catholics at least old school believe that we should pray to the Saints which take our prayers to God in order to be heard.





Does she believe in birth control? That is a really big controversy in the Catholic belief. Birth control should not be used unless for medical reasons. Sex is for procreation and should not be stopped. Although recently I believe they have changed their stance on that issue due to STD'S.





Ask her to teach you the rosary. That will give you something to share. Most everyone knows the Lords prayer but ask her to teach you the Hail Mary's.





These are just some suggestions -- Hope they help and Good LuckI have started to date a Catholic girl and I need advice....any thoughts?
This is a sweet question. She's lucky to have a guy care about her religious beliefs. If you're just interested in companionship, then it doesn't matter. If you're considering a committed relationship and possible marriage, then I would suggest you have an open mind about the Roman Catholic faith. It is very important to Catholics to have their children be raised in the faith. The best and easiest way is to convert to Catholicism. Now, depending on her family background, she may be willing to convert to Methodism. They are not diametrically opposed religions. Both of them are Christian. Catholics enjoy the mysteries of faith and the pomp and ritualism of the Mass. Many things to consider.
You should talk to her about it. It depends on how often she goes to Mass, how involved she is with her church, her feelings on family planning, etc. If you get married within the Catholic church, there will be an expectation by the church and possibly her family for you to convert, or at minimum to agree to raise your kids as Catholics.





I was raised Catholic, though I don't practice, and I dated a Jewish guy who also was not religious. Oddly enough, we wound up fighting about religion anyway, and eventually we split up. It's good to figure out where you stand on religious matters early on in a relationship.
You love each other don't worry about. Get to know each other better. Find out if you are meet for each other. If that is the case, don't make a big deal out of it. You both need to respect each other believe and go with it. You can even after a time go to each other church. See the other side. But please don't try to convert one another if you want this relation to grow. But other than that I think both of you should be fine.
well im a greek orthodox and i don't mind who my future husband will be except if he doesn't believe in anything.i think its best to continue with your life because it mostly counts on the persons heart.im very religious and i don't mind if marry a catholic or anything similar because i first look at the heart and the personality and lastly i look at religion.don't worry....as long as you love each other and respect one and other its fine.think about it again and you'll notice that im not lying.
I was raised Catholic... basically we were raised to feel guilty for everything we do lol. We are all sinners, and jesus died on the cross so horrible sinners like us could have a chance to go to heaven, as long as we've confessed, repented, and been absolved of our sins, usually by a Hail Mary and an Our Father.





The guilt trip is awful. When I was young, I used to walk around thinking my soul was a tangible sword-like-thing in my chest/torso that had marks on it for every sin I had ever made. Every time I walked into church I'd quiver because all I could see was this image of God shaking his finger at me. I was 7! That's right about the time you learn to take the body of Christ and drink his blood. Creepy for a 7 year old!





The Catholic religion is pretty strict and extreme. I'm glad I stopped going to church until I was in college when I could get a grasp on the whole thing. Now I'm much more lax about the whole thing, but I'm a very high-strung person altogether, and could easily blame my religious upbringing for that!





You should ask her what she thinks, because everyone's different spiritually. I don't think I'm exactly ';Catholic'; anymore, I don't even believe a lot of the Bible, (Adam and Eve??? Cmon... Evolution people!!!) but I do believe in God and Jesus, and still call myself a Catholic.
im Protestant and ive dated a catholic before, there was never an issue, you should try not to make one, it depends on the fact if she is a practicing catholic or not, if she is then my advice is let her teach you about her her faith, that way you will gain a better understanding of her and her religion.
Life is to short too worry about religion, it's something that will not matter after you die. Your 30 so find someone you love, don't let god or anybody else get in the way of you being happy. I believe that if there is a God out there that he would rather us all be happy.
Methodists and Catholics have an awful lot in common. The differences are as small as it gets. Only Episcopalians (sp) have more in common with Catholics really.





The 2 of you should discuss it and be honest how you feel about it and how high a priority it is in your life.
If you ask me, your relationship shouldn't be based on what religion you are. Its good to have an understanding of each others' religion though. So its best if you just talk to her about it and see what she thinks. Communication is best in a relationship.
Why not attend mass with her a few times, get a feel for it. She should do the same with your services. Then the two of you can decide how to proceed. Best of Luck!
well.... i can't say much on religion because i have none. but researching it will help, but what i say is just don't talk about it and have a good time just being together.
I would continue the research and maybe even sit down with her and talk with her about it. Maybe she can help you! Good luck!
NEW catholics are different from the older catholics of the past. It depends on how she was raised.!!
CONVERT
They are very close in beliefs. Its cool dont worry
catholics are very....different.
I dont think it makes any difference at all
run away unless she wants to convert to your beliefs
marry her then have lots of guilt free sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment